It is really important to keep your website as up to date with the latest versions. Why?
Well, there are 2 main reason – the update will usually be aimed at improving functionality, which can be really important to keeping your readers using your site. The other main reason comes down to security, there are always attempts at hacking websites. By ensuring you install the latest update you can reduce the risk.
But how do you update a WordPress website? Well, I have put the following short video together to show you the steps to completing them.
The steps are relatively simple –
- Sign into your WordPress Dashboard
- The easiest way to know you have a WordPress update available is with the banner at the top which shows that you have an update to WordPress on it.
- Select ‘Please Update Now’
- This will show you all of the updates that you have available – an update to WordPress itself, will usually result in updates to WordPress Themes and WordPress Plugins.
- Select Update Now on WordPress.
The key thing to understand is, it is vital you back up your website prior to completing any update, just think how much time and effort you have put into your website then you do a update and it goes wrong… Make sure you get into the habit of completing a back up first.
Thanks for taking the time to read this article, hope you found the video useful – it’s my first video, so let me know what you think in the comments.
AS ever, if you have any questions on WordPress then please put them into the comments.