Hi everyone, this post is aimed at pointing you in the right direction for ways to work from home using your computer. Whether it is you are looking at a way of working for yourself using your computer or wanting some part time work doing it for a company, customer services for example – we will be exploring the options available to you.
Whilst we will be focusing on the opportunities that are available, it would be wrong of me not to mention the scams that are out there…
As soon as you search any such term into the search engines, there will be opportunities that appear, and they are that enticing and look like such an easy way to earn money that you decide to have a look. The problem is, which ones are genuine? That is what we will also discuss in this article.
Let’s start with the types of jobs that are available.
At Home Customer Service Jobs
If you are great at chatting with customers, able to help them with their problems or answer questions about the company’s products and services. Then this may be a great opportunity for you. More and more companies are starting to rely on people from home to do these tasks as it reduces the costs. There is no need to have a big call centre, when they can outsource it to people working from home and able to offer the same help and support. Customers wouldn’t really notice the difference, but it benefits both you and them.
Some of the jobs available do want some experience and expect you to be able to use email and be happy taking phone calls. Indeed, have these opportunities available. I also found this great opportunity to support Apple with home-based advisor role. See the opportunity here.
At Home Sales Person Jobs
There are plenty of opportunities to take on a sales job from home, these would typically involve using the phone as well as your computer and would mainly involve contacting potential customers about products or services. There will be some key aspects that employers will be looking for before they hire a sales person –
- such as the ability to understand the products, services and the market for that company.
- The ability to find clients and converting leads to sales
- The ability to develop relationships with clients
- As it is a home-based position, you will need to be able to use email, spreadsheets and be great at keeping records
At Home Accounting Jobs
There are plenty of small business owners that struggle to find time to do their accounting, running a small business takes up so much time they start looking at outsourcing certain tasks and accounting is one of the main ones. Typically, they are really creative and great at designing a product – but aren’t great at doing the books.
If you are good at accounting and have experience with Sage, QuickBooks, etc. or are willing to learn these courses then you could be on to a great source of earning money with stay at home computer jobs.
There are opportunities on both a local scale and via the computer. So, if you are mobile you could increase your income by getting involved with a local business and doing a day in their office.
Be Mindful of Work from Home Scams
Like I said at the beginning, for every work from home opportunity out there that is genuine, there is a scam out there designed to rob you of either your money or your personal detail.
Look out for signs that it may not be genuine, for example most sites that promise you can be earning £1000’s from day one is definitely a scam. Earning money online for yourself is totally possible, I am doing it through this website. But firstly, I am not earning £1000’s out of it yet and it takes time and effort to do it.
Let’s go through some steps you can take to decide whether an opportunity looks genuine and is worth accepting the invitation.
- One of the things I have noticed and makes it easier to spot a scam is: Spelling and grammar mistakes. I know anyone can make them, but if it is genuine they will have spent the time to use a spell checker. I know English isn’t everyone’s first language, but a spell checker is key and a website owner who is genuine will have used one. Scammers are just after the money. I do understand that this isn’t a concrete one, but it definitely gives me something to think about before I proceed.
- Is the website secure or using a secure form for your information? This isn’t always a guarantee, but in most places a website that is using a https: address is more likely to be trusted than a non-secure website
- Does the offer feel realistic? If they are saying you can be earning a certain amount of money, by doing certain actions and with some timescales – but it will take a certain level of action by you. That sounds more genuine than an offer of a service where you “switch it on and you will earn thousands”. We would all love to find a magic button that does that, but in my research, I am still to find one…
- Do they actually tell you what you will be doing?? I see a lot of products that say you can earn loads of money through it, but don’t actually tell you what you will be doing? Most websites that have a fantastic introduction video with loads of success stories, but no real information on what it is – is typically a scam. I would want to know how I am going to earn all this money before I hand over any of my money or information. It is pretty much saying, hand over £99 and then I will tell you what it is?? Whilst some may end up being quite lucrative, it isn’t something to risk when you have no money or can’t afford to lose that amount of money on something that isn’t going to work.
- Simply put, if it looks too good to be true, it probably is.
If you want a way of earning money online with a stay at home computer job, but don’t want to commit to anything long term or with set hours then Freelancing might be for you.
There are a number of ways that your current skills could benefit you when signing up to a freelancing site and offering your services. The list of opportunities is endless – writing content, graphic design, website design, accounting, (need to fill list).
Let’s just clear up how this works. You sign up with a website such as Fiverr. You create a seller profile stating what you are offering and what your experience is. So, let’s say you have experience with accounting or are good at writing content in accounting – you could state this in your profile and offer your services for a set fee. A buyer hires you and you complete the work and earn the money.
This makes this a really flexible way of earning money as you can activate your ‘gigs’ as and when you can. You can also state how long they can expect you to reply with the completed work.
Read more information at my review for Fiverr. This is a great place for wannabe freelancers just starting out. It would be prudent once you are established to explore other sites, such as Upwork, where you can earn more money, but they expect you to be experienced and actually prove it too.
Start an Online Business in a Profitable Niche
All the examples above are great ways to earn money online, but they still require you to work for someone else and working to their timescales rather than giving you the freedom to work for yourself and earning enough to make it your only income.
Starting your own online business is a great way to earning money online using your computer and giving you the freedom to work wherever you like (with WIFI, of course). I started this process a couple of years ago and it is now something that I fully endorse.
Let’s first go through how this works.
Picking a Niche – the biggest mistake many make is targeting a subject that is too broad, whilst there are many opportunities you don’t want to get drowned out by too much competition straightaway. But it also needs to be a subject you know a lot about or have a passion for. This makes it easier for you to create content for it. A great way of doing this is by checking out Amazon. Men’s grooming or keeping fit are big profitable niches, but they are very broad categories. But if you drill down and go for Beard Care, then you have got a better niche to start with.
Create an Authority Website – Let’s continue with the Beard Care niche for now and let’s say we are going to target Beard Trimmers – I would create a website all about Beard trimmers, how to use them, the best ones out there, what accessories there are for beard care, Beard styles. These are things that people are searching for (and I can show you how to find out what people are searching for). This all goes to showing that you are an authority in that field.
How do You Make Money? – Ok, I know you are asking how does this site make me money…? Well, that is called a process called Affiliate Marketing.
What is Affiliate Marketing?
Simply put, on that beard care website you would have reviews for products and services that you have reviewed and written an article on it. Your reader decides that after reading your review they want to buy it. You would have an affiliate link to that product at a marketplace, let’s use Amazon for now. They click on that link that takes them to the product on Amazon. They buy that product normally through Amazon as normal. But the key bit is you have just earned a commission. A percentage of the purchase price is your reward for bringing that buyer to Amazon.
That is the premise of Affiliate Marketing and makes an online business opportunity a very viable stay at home computer job.
There are a few things to get your head around with Affiliate Marketing and building an online business – for example, building a website, creating content, getting traffic to your website and which affiliate programs are worthwhile.
But one thing I can guarantee that if you are willing to put in the time and effort and follow the same steps I took when learning, you can turn this opportunity into a passive income that when it starts earning for you, continues to earn money without the full-time hours that a normal job has.
You will also feel a wave of pride when you have built this website and it is earning money – helping people in your given niche gives a level of satisfaction and when you are earning money from helping people it is awesome.
Steps to Get Started
There are 3 key things you need to get started with a successful online business:
- Education – Whilst you may be fully versed in the niche you want to start with, you will need to learn everything there is about getting started, affiliate marketing, creating a WordPress website (easiest one to master), getting traffic to your website. I can start you with a course that takes you step-by-step through all these stages and is free to join.
- Websites – Some will say you can do it via social media accounts, but if you actually want to earn money and scale your business, a website is the way to do it. A starter member will get 2 free websites.
- Expert Help & Support – Everyone needs a friend. If something isn’t quite working, or you want to bounce an idea of someone then you need someone that is both versed in all the same aspects but has some experience too. You will get access to a community that has close to a million other entrepreneurs that are all doing the same thing. But I will also be on hand to help you too.
Are you ready to help others and earn yourself some money too? I will be honest it will take hard work and dedication to make it work – but you are doing it for yourself and not taking a customer service job that is helping someone else.
If you are ready to get started, then I can share this course with you. It is free to join and there is no need to upgrade to a premium account until you are ready. Follow the training, ask me any questions you have with either the in-app messages or an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
But Wealthy Affiliate has turned many individuals into successful online entrepreneurs, put me to the test – join the starter membership today and go through the initial training. If you don’t feel it is for you after that point. No hard feelings, and you haven’t lost any money but maybe have learned a few things on the way.
Thanks for reading this article, if you have any questions or want to share your experiences with any of the job ideas above, please share them in the comments below